US President Donald Trump appeared for the first time before Congress on Tuesday to defend the measures taken during his first month in the White House and his political program.
With a conciliatory tone, rested and far from eccentricities, Trump gave a speech in which he emphasized these ten great phrases:
1. “Free nations are the best vehicle for expressing the wishes of their peoples and the United States respects the right of all nations to choose their way. My job is not to represent the world. My job is to represent the United States. ”
2. “I believe that real and positive immigration reform is possible as long as we focus on three goals: improving the jobs and wages of Americans, strengthening our national security and restoring respect for our laws.”
3. “We must restore the integrity and rule of law in our borders. That is why, soon we will begin the construction of a great wall along our southern border. It will start earlier than scheduled and, once completed, will be a very effective weapon against crime and drugs. ”
4. “As promised, I have ordered the Department of Defense to develop a plan to destroy the Islamic State, a network of lawless savages that has killed Muslims and Christians and men, women and children of all faiths. We will work with our allies, including our friends and allies of the Muslim world, to extinguish this enemy villain from the face of the earth. ”
5. “The United States is willing to meet new friends and forge new alliances where common interests coincide. We want peace, wherever it may be. Today, the US is a friend of former enemies. Some of our greatest allies, decades ago, fought on the other side during world wars. ”
6. “The only long-term solution to humanitarian crises is to create the conditions for displaced persons to return safely to their homes and begin a long process of reconstruction.”
7. “We strongly support NATO (…) but we expect our allies to meet their financial obligations. We expect our allies, NATO, the Middle East or the Pacific, to assume a direct and significant role in strategic and military operations, and to pay their fair share of the cost. ”
8. “We can not allow an advance of terrorism within the United States. We can not allow our nation to be a sanctuary for extremists. ”
9. “We have lost more than a quarter of our jobs in the industry since the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) was approved and we have lost 60,000 factories since China joined the World Trade Organization in 2001 “.
10. “The time of small thoughts is over. The time for trivial fights is behind us. We just need the courage to share the dreams that fill our hearts. The courage to express the hopes that shock our souls. And the confidence to turn those hopes and dreams into action. “