US President Donald J. Trump gives a press conference in Seoul (South Korea), on November 7, 2017, as part of the two-day state visit by the US president to the country.

US President Donald Trump on Tuesday rejected the need to open any new debate on gun control or gun ownership in the United States and said that with more restrictions the victims of the shooting in Texas “could have been in the hundreds.”

“If that man had not had a gun and shot him (the shooter), the victims count could have been hundreds,” said Trump, referring to the resident of Sutherland Springs (Texas) who was armed with his own rifle, confronted the killer who opened fire in a church killing 26 people, after which he took his own life.

The current leader of the White House, thus settled the questions about a modification of gun control law in the wake of the worst massacre in Texas history at a press conference in Seoul, where he made quite clear to those present, by pointing out that “the most arms control is in the state of Illinois, Chicago to be precise, and It is a disaster”.

Trump, who is making an official visit to South Korea, offered a press conference with his counterpart, Moon Jae-in, in which he again defended his stance on gun ownership.

The US president said yesterday in Tokyo that the shooting was due to “a high-level mental health problem” and not any weapons, statements that generated great controversy so far.

A total of 26 people were killed and about 20 wounded in Sundays shooting when worshipers attended a Sunday service at a Baptist temple in the town of Sutherland Springs Texas.  Shortly after this massacre, the shooter himself was shot by a man with a semiautomatic rifle.

The killing was perpetrated by Devin Kelley, a 26-year-old former soldier who was expelled from the Air Force for misconduct and who apparently committed suicide after being shot by a neighbor, Stephen Willeford.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here