Preparing your own chorizo is a delicious adventure, It is so easy that you won’t believe.
- 1 kg of ground pork
- 200 to 300 grams of ground pork fat, can be from the jowl or bacon
- 10 guajillo chiles, without seeds or veins
- 4 wide chiles, without seeds or veins
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt
- 5 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- Gut for stuffing (available in butcher shops)
1. HYDRATE the guajillo chilies in boiling water.
2. TOAST the spices, one by one, separately. Grind all of them together with the sea salt. PLACE chiles, garlic and vinegar until a paste is obtained.
3. MIX meat, chili paste and ground spices in a large bowl; Cover and keep refrigerated for a day.
4. WASH the gut perfectly with water and a splash of vinegar, eliminating all the salt where it is preserved.
5. PLACE the casing in the mouth of a funnel, fold until you finish with it. Make a knot in the end of the gut and begin to add meat to the funnel, push and begin to fill the gut careful not to get air bubbles. It should not be too tight, but not loose either. To form the balls, cut small strips of hemp thread and tie the casing to give the shape and size you want.
6. CLOSE the end of the casing, to ripen it hang the chorizo for a day in a dry and cool place, covered with a dishcloth.
Try different spices to give a unique touch to your preparation. If you want a more intense tone you can add 3 teaspoons of paprika.